By Avner Ben
If you and your family do not eat enough healthy fruits and green vegetables on a daily basis, try drinking green smoothies as a simple and easy way to make sure that you consume the recommended daily amounts of vitamin rich and nutritious fruits and vegetables. Smoothies enable you to consume fruits and vegetables in their raw form, thereby, retaining all of their nutritional value and strength. Several foods are classified as super foods: Spinach, wild Salmon, berries, pumpkin, Turkey and beans to name a few. I want to show you how to boost the benefits of the smoothies you drink by adding what I classify as the 5 key superfoods in their pure and natural form: Chlorella, Spirulina, Alfalfa, Wheat grass and Barley grass powders. This article teaches you about their benefits and how to add them to your smoothies for a power packed, vitamins, minerals and enzymes rich that should increase your vitality, boost your immune system and increase your red blood cell count.
You can purchase the following list of superfoods in powder form from your local health food store or order it from a reputable Internet vendor.
Key #1: Chlorella – is renowned for its detoxification properties. It can aid your body to breakdown heavy metal toxins such as mercury, cadmium, and lead. It helps you to flush out any toxicity to pesticides such as DDT and PCB at the same time that it boosts your immune system. Chlorella is green algae whose name derives from the word, Chlorophyll. It contains more of this substance per gram (3% to 5%) than any other plant.
Key #2: Spirulina – is a single cell blue-green algae whose name derives from it spiral shape. It is an excellent source of protein, non-animal source of vitamin B12, vitamin A, vitamin E; minerals such as, potassium, zinc, magnesium, selenium, calcium, iron and phosphorus. It also contains amino acids and chlorophyll. Spirulina is used as an immune system booster, energizer and a non-toxic, all natural and vegetarian method to add extra nutrition to your diet.
Key #3: Alfalfa – is an Arabic word that translates as “the father of plants”. It is rich in protein and vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin K. It also contains calcium, potassium, carotene, iron, and zinc. Alfalfa plays a role in strengthening bones and boosting the overall maintenance of your health.
Key #4: Wheat grass – is one of the cereal grasses that can be consumed as juice or in a powder form. It builds red blood cells, boosts the immune system, detoxifies your body by draining your lymph system and carries away many toxins from body cells. Wheat grass is power packed with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, as many as 30 enzymes and consists of up to 70% raw chlorophyll.
Key #5 Barley grass – like wheat grass, barley grass is another of the cereal grasses that can be consumed as juice or in powder form. When compared to wheat grass, some sources claim that wheat grass contains more B6, B12, Iron and Chlorophyll; but barley grass is reputed to contain double the amount of all the other vitamins, minerals and amino acids not listed in the previous sentence, than wheat grass. This is why I recommend adding both of them to your green smoothies.
Tudo Bom!!!! Live from the Beautiful country of Salvador Bahia, Brasil, the Green Regimen brings you, The “o Baiano Verde” Smoothie…
If you are not familiar with how to make a green smoothie, here is what you do.
Basic Green Smoothie Recipe
1. Fresh raw greens (Kale, Spinach, Salad greens, Water Cress, etc.) should make up about 40% of the smoothie
2. Fresh fruits (Bananas, Apples, Papaya, Mango, etc.) should make up 50% to 60% of the smoothie. Add powdered superfoods mixture in the blender, see instructions, below.
3. If the fruit is not sufficiently sweet enough for your taste, you can add 3-4 dried dates or a handful of raisins to add a natural sweetener. I do not suggest that you sweeten with regular sugar, brown or otherwise.
4. Put all of the ingredients in a blender, add some water and blend to a smooth consistency. Add more water as you blend, if necessary.
Mixing and Adding Superfoods Powders to Green Smoothies
1. Mix a week’s supply of the powder by combining 2 tsp. of each powder for each day, in a container with a lid. Stir it until it is mixed together, well. Refrigerate the mixture or at least, keep in a cool place.
2. After adding the ingredients of the green smoothie of your choice to the blender, add 2 tsp. of the powder and blend well.
3. Drink an 8 oz. glass or more per day to achieve optimal benefits.
Add these nutritious, vitalizing and energizing superfood additions to your green smoothies right away and start enjoying the overall health benefits they provide for you and your family.